Celery Root Gratin
Made with delicious ingredients, this recipe is an excellent side dish!
- step-by-step directions
Celery Root Gratin
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (room temperature, for greasing)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 cup scallions (thinly sliced on a bias)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus additional to garnish)
- 1 1/4 cups Parmesan cheese (plus additional to top before baking)
- 1 small celery root (peeled, thinly sliced on mandolin)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- In a small saucepan add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Add the garlic, scallions, nutmeg and cheese and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of celery root to the baking dish. Pour a layer of cream mixture over the celery root. Add another layer of celery root and more cream. Continue layering until all of the celery root and cream has been used. Top with additional parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35-50 minutes. Remove foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes, and garnish with additional nutmeg. Serve.
- Tip: Use a variety of root vegetables when making this dish such as rutabagas or turnips. Make sure the celery root is thinly sliced for even and quick cooking of this side dish.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa