Charred Broccoli Salad
The perfect seaside snack!
- step-by-step directions
Charred Broccoli Salad:
- 1/2 cup marsala
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 small heads broccoli (stalks peeled, each cut into 3 large pieces)
- 1 bunch scallions (root ends removed)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (toasted)
- 1/4 cup capers (drained)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the Charred Broccoli Salad: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the marsala wine and cook until just boiling. Remove from heat, and stir in the raisins. Set aside to plump.
- Cook the pearl couscous according to package instructions using chicken or vegetable stock in place of water. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Drizzle the broccoli pieces with 1/4 cup of olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste and place on the grill. Drizzle the scallions with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place on the grill. Cook vegetables until charred, about 3-4 minutes per side, then remove from the grill. Roughly chop the broccoli into chunks and remove to a large bowl. Roughly chop the scallions and add to the large bowl.
- In the bowl with grilled vegetables, add the cooked couscous, almonds, capers, mint, parsley, and gently stir to combine. Drain and discard the orange juice from the raisins and fold into the salad. Set aside.
- For the Orange Dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice and olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat completely. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Get creative! Use this recipe as a base and add your favorite vegetables, dried fruit and nuts to make this your own!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa