Cherry Almond Tart
Tasty as it is gorgeous!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus additional for dusting)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (cubed, chilled)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ice water (if necessary)
Cherry Frangipane Filling:
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 7 ounces almond paste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen cherries (thawed, drained)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- vanilla bean ice cream (to serve)
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- For the Tart Dough: In the bowl of a food processor add the flour, sugar and salt and pulse until combined. Add the butter and pulse until tiny pebbles form. With the machine running, add the egg yolk, vanilla extract and water (if needed) and pulse until dough just comes together with little pieces of butter throughout. Remove to a piece of plastic wrap, flatten into a disk and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a 13-inch in diameter circle and place in a 11-inch tart pan. Be sure to press the dough into the tart pan and remove any excess dough from the sides. Prick the bottom of the tart with the prongs of a fork. Place a piece of parchment paper in the center of the tart and fill with dried baking beans or pie weights. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the pie shell edges are blonde in color. Remove the baking beans and parchment and bake for another 8-10 minutes until the bottom is of the tart shell is set and light golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the Cherry Frangipane Filling: In a small bowl add the flour, sugar and salt and whisk until combined. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the almond paste and butter and mix until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, until just incorporated. Remove the batter to the tart shell and smooth using a rubber spatula. Scatter the cherries around the tart, gently pressing them into the filling. Scatter almonds across the top of the filling and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the tart is clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream.
- Tip: Get creative! Substitute the cherries for your raspberries or strawberries for a tasty twist!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa