Chocolate Pecan Pie
We'll definitely take a slice of Mario's Chocolate Pecan Pie!
- step-by-step directions
Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 recipe Basic Pie Crust
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups pecans (coarsely ground)
- whipped cream (for serving)
Basic Pie Crust:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (very cold, cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 cup ice water (or more as needed)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (chilled)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars and flour. Mix in the butter, then the bourbon.
- In the pie shell, scatter the chocolate and pecans. Pour in the egg mixture. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
- For Basic Pie Crust: In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the butter and toss to coat in the flour, then mix with a pastry blender- or the back of a fork, through that will take longer- until the butter is cut into tiny bits and incorporated through the dough. Add 6 tablespoons of the ice water and mix in until the dough just comes together, adding more water a tablespoon at a time, if necessary. (The ingredients can be mixed in a food processor but should be done in two batches.)
- Dust a work surface with flour and turn the dough out of the bowl. Cut it in half and form 2 discs. Dust them with more flour, then wrap in a plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- When ready to roll out the crust, dust your work surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to at least 12-inches across. Carefully line a 9-inch pie pan with the dough and cut away any excess hanging over the sides. Refrigerate the crust until ready to fill. The second disc can be used for another pie, or as a top crust in double-crusted pies.
- For the Whipped Cream: In a large chilled bowl add the cream and whip until soft peaks form, using a whisk. Add the powdered sugar and continue whisking until soft medium peaks form.
- Tip: 1. Freeze the second pie crust to use later for a different pie. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.
- 2. Substitute 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract for the bourbon if you prefer.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa