Classic Holiday Brisket
A classic dish for the holidays!
- step-by-step directions
Classic Holiday Brisket
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3-5 pound beef brisket (trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 head garlic (sliced in half widthwise)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 stalks celery (large dice)
- 3 yellow onions (peeled, 1/2-inch slices)
- 1 carrot (peeled, large dice)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Remove the brisket from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking to allow brisket to come to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, add celery salt, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the brisket with seasoning mixture on both sides. Using a pastry brush, coat brisket with tomato paste.
- Transfer brisket to a shallow roasting pan or a Dutch oven. Pour red wine and beef stock over brisket. Add garlic and bay leaves to roasting pan.
- Cover with tightly with foil and transfer to oven. Braise for 2 hours and remove from oven, uncover and scatter celery, carrots and onion over the brisket and along the sides. Cover with lid or tightly with foil and return to oven for another 1 1/2-2 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- Carefully remove brisket to a cutting board. Slice against the grain and transfer to platter.
- Remove garlic and bay leaves from pan juices and discard. Strain the juices into a saucepan, reserving the vegetables. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring juices to a boil, reducing to 2 cups. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour pan juices over the top and serve with remaining vegetable mixture if desired.
- Tip: Make the day before and store braise in the refrigerator. Slice brisket and reheat in the juices before serving.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa