Learn to make this fun fair food at home!
- step-by-step directions
- 8 All-Beef Hot Dogs
- 8 10-12 '' skewers
- 4 quarts Canola Oil
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 cups Cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups Water; plus more if needed
- 1 Egg
- Heat the oil to 360-375°F.
- Whisk together the Cornmeal, Flour, Baking Soda, Salt and Sugar. In another bowl, whisk together the Buttermilk, Water and Egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine. Let rest for 5 minutes. If the batter seems too thick, add a few tablespoons of Water. Pour some of the batter into a pint beer glass and set aside to reset for 1 hour.
- Skewer all of the Hot Dogs and line them up on a sheet tray. Place the Cornstarch on one side of the tray, and roll each Hot Dog through the Cornstarch, tapping off any extra. Dip each Hot Dog into the cup of batter, then slowly slide into the Oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until very golden brown and crispy.
- Remove to a draining rack or some paper towels and serve with your favorite condiments.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Snacks Holidays & Occasions Game Day Foods
rate this recipe
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger