A tasty spin for Mardi Gras!
- step-by-step directions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup onions (peeled, small dice)
- 3 stalks celery (small dice)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 green bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, small dice)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shrimp stock or fish stock
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound frozen crawfish tails (thawed)
- 1/2 lemon (jzested, juiced)
- 3 tablespoons parsley (finely chopped)
- Louisianna-style hot sauce (TK crystal)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- canola oil (for greasing)
- 6 hot dogs (split down the middle)
- 6 hot dog buns (warmed)
- mustard (to serve)
- 1/4 cup scallions (root ends removed, thinly sliced, to serve)
- Heat a heavy bottomed-pan over medium-high heat and add the butter, onions, celery, garlic, bell pepper and season with salt.
- Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, then stir in the thyme, cayenne, and flour and continue cooking until the flour begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the Worcestershire, shrimp stock, crushed tomatoes, and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 30-45 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the crawfish. Cover and let stand until the crawfish is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest and juice, parsley and a few dashes of Louisiana-style hot sauce and set aside.
- Preheat an oiled griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add hot dogs and griddle until cooked through and charred, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- To serve, place hot dogs in warm hot dog buns and top with mustard, etouffee sauce, and scallions.
- Tip: Serve any leftover etouffee sauce over rice for a tasty side to any fish dish!
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad