Creamy Kale Gratin
Did you know that potatoes aren't the only thing that can be made in to tasty gratin side dish!
- step-by-step directions
Creamy Kale Gratin
- 2 Large Bunches Russian kale, or black kale, stems removed and roughly chopped (about 20 cups)
- 1 sourdough loaf, cut into 1/2-inch Slices
- 6 tablespoons butter, plus more
- 1/2 cup shallots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 pound gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and a drizzle of olive oil. When the butter has melted, add the shallots, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Sauté until translucent (about 4 minutes). Add the kale and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until wilted (about 4 minutes). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate heavy-bottomed pot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook the flour mixture for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Slowly pour in the milk and cream and whisk to combine. Continue to cook, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until the béchamel sauce coats the back of a wooden spoon (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Add in the cheeses and whisk until smooth. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in the reserved kale mixture.
- Butter a gratin baking dish. Lay an even layer of the bread slices in the bottom of the gratin dish. Pour the creamy kale mixture over the bread. Top the casserole with the remaining bread slices, placing them tightly together. Season the bread with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, until the topping is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Kale Courses & Meals Dinner Vegetarian Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Sides Christmas
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs