Mario's go-to recipe for rustic Italian tart dough!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (sifted, plus more for dusting)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 1 cup cold, unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1/4 cup ice water (plus more as needed)
- In the base of a food processor, add the flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest. Pulse to combine. Add the cold, cubed butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough just comes together and forms a ball, without being too wet or sticky. Remove the dough to a clean work surface and form into a flat disk, about 2 inches thick. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough to room temperature and let soften enough to roll out. Preheat oven to 365ºF.
- Lightly flour a cutting board or a clean work surface and a rolling pin with cake flour. Roll the dough out into a 16-inch round, about 1/4-inch thick. If the dough tears, press the edges back together. Transfer the dough to a 12 1/2-inch fluted quiche or tart pan with a removable bottom, allowing the excess to hang over the edges. (Alternatively, place the dough round onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Fill the center of the dough with fruit filling of choice.) Fold in the overhanging edges of the dough, leaving a 6-inch area of filling exposed in the center. Press the crust into the rim of the fluted pan to form an edge. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet. Place crostata in the oven to bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit filling is bubbly.
- Remove the baking pan to a cooling rack to cool. Serve the crostata warm or at room temperature, with a dollop of mascarpone cheese or whipped cream in each serving.
- Helpful Tip: Substitute cake flour with all-purpose flour if desired. Cake flour provides a very fine texture.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa