This curried rice is a delicious addition to soups and stews, or even on its own!
- step-by-step directions
- 12 Thai chilies (seeded and roughly chopped)
- 1-2 stalks lemongrass (finely sliced)
- 3 shallots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 3 tablespoons ginger (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves and stems (roughly chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 limes (1/2 cup juice, plus 1 tablespoon zest)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup curry paste
- 2 cups basmati rice (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted macadamia nuts (chopped)
- 1/2 cup scallions (thinly sliced)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Curry Paste: in the bowl of a food processor, add the Thai chilies, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric, dark brown sugar, cilantro, fish sauce, lime juice and lime zest. Puree until smooth.
- For the Rice: in a medium saucepot, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the curry paste and sweat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the rice and mix to coat in the curry paste. Add the stock, raisins, and season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, add the nuts and scallions and mix to combine.
- Serve with Carla's Coconut Chicken Stew, if desired!
- Helpful Tips:
- Store the curry paste in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Use your favorite type of chiles, such as poblanos, jalapenos or serranos!
- Alternatively, finish cooking the rice, covered, in a 325ºF oven for 15 minutes.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa