Double Chocolate Orange Muffins
- step-by-step directions
Double Chocolate Muffins:
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup chocolate chips (divided)
- 6 oranges (halved widthwise, flesh scooped out)
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Double Chocolate Muffins: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with the orange halves with the cut-side facing up.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the eggs and sugar and beat until the mixture is pale in color, about 1-2 minutes. Add the vegetable oil and beat to combine. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and mix to combine. With the speed on low, add the flour mixture in batches, until fully combined. Fold 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into the batter, cover and refrigerate until slightly hardened, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove batter from the refrigerator and evenly divide the batter amongst the orange cups. Top the muffins evenly with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, transfer muffin tin to the grill and close the grill. Grill muffins until cooked through and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 10-15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely before icing.
- For the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large bowl, add the cream cheese and butter and mix together until thoroughly combined. Add the confectioners' sugar and stir well until fully incorporated. Stir in the orange juice and zest and vanilla extract. Dollop a small mound of icing on top of each muffin and use a small offset spatula to ice the tops of the muffins and serve!
- Tip: Get creative! Try this recipe in your favorite citrus rind, like grapefruit or blood orange!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa