Dutch-Oven Peach Cobbler
A campfire must!
- step-by-step directions
Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter (chilled, cubed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk (chilled)
- 2 pounds frozen peaches (thawed, juices reserved)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (toasted)
- 1 recipe whole wheat drop biscuits (recipe above)
- Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits: In a large bowl, add the all purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon and whisk to combine. Add the cubed butter and pinch until small pebbles form. Add the vanilla extract and buttermilk and stir until just combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Peach Cobbler on the Grill: Heat a grill over medium-high heat.
- In a 6-quart cast-iron skillet with a lid, add the peaches with juices, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, light brown sugar, and almond extract, and mix to combine.
- Evenly dollop spoonfuls of batter over the peaches, sprinkle with toasted almond slices, and cover with lid.
- Add the cast-iron skillet to the grill, close the lid and cook until it is lightly brown and firm to the touch, about 20-25 minutes. Carefully remove from heat and serve.
- For the Peach Cobbler over Fire: In a 6-quart cast-iron cast iron skillet with cast iron lid, add the peaches, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, light brown sugar, and almond extract, and mix to combine.
- Evenly dollop spoonfuls of drop biscuit batter over the peaches, sprinkle with toasted almond slices, and cover with lid.
- With a campfire going, move pieces of burning wood to the side to level out coals to the size of the Dutch oven. Alternatively, burn about 50 briquets until they are mostly burned and spread into one layer. Allow to heat up for about 10-15 minutes. Nestle the Dutch oven in the center, and place half of the briquets on top of the lid.
- Cook peach cobbler, checking occasionally, until the drop biscuits are lightly brown and firm to the touch, about 20-25 minutes. Careful remove from heat and serve.
- Tip: Serve with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa