Fig Upside Down Cake
This fig dessert is so good, your friends will think you could be an iron chef (even though this recipe is crazy easy)!
- step-by-step directions
Fig Upside Down Cake
- 2 sticks plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 1 pound fresh figs (ends trimmed, cut in half)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream and powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the brown sugar, juice of half a lemon and juice of half an orange, and stir until everything is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes.
- Scrape this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Arrange the cut figs flesh-side down in an even layer on top of the brown sugar mixture in a circular pattern.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the orange zest, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together the 2 sticks of butter with the granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Then, stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Using a large spoon, carefully dollop the batter over the figs in the cake pan. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let rest in the cake pan for about 10 minutes. Then run a knife around the edges and invert the cake onto a platter. Cool completely before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- Tip: Caramel + Fruit + Cake Batter = Pure Perfection!
rate this recipe
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Peanut Butter Espresso Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad
Grilling Three Ways
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini
Giant Donut Cake
Corn Fritters with Spicy Honey
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca