Filled Cupcakes Three Ways
Carla's cupcakes are all kinds of delicious!
- step-by-step directions
Filled Cupcakes Three Ways
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup store-bought lemon curd
- 1/2 cup whipped peanut butter
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Vanilla Buttercream :
- 9 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup chocolate ganache
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup gold sprinkles
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts (finely chopped, sifted)
- 1 cup chocolate jimmies
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place cupcake liners in muffin tin.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing to incorporate. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the stand mixture, then the milk and then the remaining flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated.
- Evenly divide the batter between the cupcake liners, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until light golden on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove from the pan to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate ganache filling, place the heavy cream in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until simmering. Pour over chocolate in a large bowl and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir to combine until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup of ganache for the frosting.
- Place the lemon curd, whipped peanut butter and chocolate ganache in three different piping bags fitted with filling tips. Using a skewer or pairing knife, poke a hole in the top of each cupcake. Pipe about 1 tablespoon of filling into the center of each cupcake.
- Frost the lemon cupcakes with vanilla buttercream, peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate buttercream and chocolate ganache cupcake with orange marmalade buttercream.
- To frost the lemon cupcakes, place the vanilla buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe a spiral shape until you reach the top and release the tip. Garnish with gold sprinkles and a thinly sliced lemon. For the peanut butter cupcakes, place 1/2 cup frosting on the top of the cupcake, smooth the sides with an offset spatula and flatten the top. Roll the flat sides of the cupcake in chopped peanuts, leaving the top smooth. For the chocolate ganache cupcake, place 1/2 cup orange marmalade buttercream on top of the cupcake, smooth the sides with an offset spatula and flatten the top. Roll the sides in chocolate jimmies.
- For the Vanilla Buttercream: Whip the butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low. Once incorporated, add the vanilla and increase the speed to high and beat until until light and fluffy.
- Divide the buttercream into three bowls. Add orange marmalade to the first, and 1/4 cup of chocolate ganache to the second and leave the third plain.
- For the Garnish: In a small saucepan add the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow the sugar to dissolve, about 1 minute. Remove and allow to cool until warm. Dip the lemon wedges in the simple syrup then place on wax paper or a baking rack to dry.
- Tip: This is the perfect way to customize your favorite store-bought cake mix. Add your favorite candies, frostings and jams to the center of the cupcakes.
Similar categories: Desserts
rate this recipe
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad
Peanut Butter Espresso Milkshake
Grilling Three Ways
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini