Flower Pot Cake
Almost too beautiful to eat. Almost.
- step-by-step directions
For the Cake:
- 1 box milk chocolate brownie mix
- 1 box dark chocolate fudge cake mix
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
For the Frosting:
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar (sifted)
- 3 cups unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- gel food coloring
For the Faux Grass:
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- green gel food coloring
- For the Cake: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, combine the brownie mix and the cake mix. Add the eggs, water, buttermilk, vegetable oil and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined. Pour 1 cup of the mixture into the prepared terracotta flower pot, reserve the remaining batter. Transfer to the oven to bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake is set and springs back to the touch. Using the remaining batter, fill the prepared cupcake tins. Transfer to the oven to cook for 10-12 minutes.
- When ready, remove the cake and cupcakes from the oven and let cool in their pans for 20 minutes. Remove from the pans to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- For the Buttercream Frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the butter and confectioners’ sugar on low until incorporated. Add the vanilla extract, milk and kosher salt. Mix until light and fluffy. Divide 6 cups into one glass bowl and the remaining 2 cups into another glass bowl.
- Using red, yellow and brown gel food coloring, dye the first bowl the color of the terracotta flower pot. Using pink gel food coloring dye the remaining bowl a pale pink for the roses. Transfer the pink frosting to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Faux Grass: In a medium bowl combine the coconut flakes and a few drops of green food dye. Toss until evenly coated. Set aside until ready to use.
- To Assemble: Once the cake has cooled, frost with the terracotta buttercream frosting on all the sides, leaving the top empty. Fill the empty top of the cake with the faux grass. Frost the cupcakes with the pink buttercream frosting and using toothpicks secure the cupcakes on top of the grass. Serve!
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad