Talk about a spooky appetizer!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 egg
- 1 large white onion (peeled, finely diced)
- 1 jalapeno (top removed, seeded, minced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- 3 large ripe avocados (peeled, pitted, diced)
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 pimento stuffed olives (1 whole, 1 sliced)
- 6 black olives (pitted, sliced into strips)
- 2 cremini mushrooms (cleaned)
- 1 red bell pepper (top removed, seeded, cut into thin strips)
- 1 8.1- ounce bag blue corn tortilla chips
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water and set aside.
- In a small sauce pot, add the egg and cover with room temperature water. Bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat and allow to sit for 11 minutes. Remove the egg from the pot and place immediately in the bowl of ice water. When cool enough to handle, peel the shell inside the bowl of water and discard shell. Slice egg in half lengthwise and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a fork, slightly mash together the onion, jalapeno and cilantro until it forms more of a paste-like consistency. Stir in the avocado, mashing the avocado until the mixture is mostly smooth, but still slightly chunky. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt.
- Remove the guacamole to a large rectangular serving dish, and with a spatula, shape the guacamole into a large rectangle, filling up the majority of the dish. Smooth out the top. Place the 2 egg halves, yolk side down in the center, near the top of the guacamole rectangle, creating the eyeballs of the face.
- Dollop a small dot of guacamole onto the center of the egg halves and place one pimento stuffed olive slice on top of the guacamole, creating the pupils of the eyeballs.
- Place the whole pimento stuffed olive below the eggs, in the center of the guacamole face, creating the nose.
- Place the black olive strips below the nose to create a rigid "angry" line for the mouth. Arrange the remaining black olive slices into two diagonal lines above the eyeballs, creating "angry" eyebrows.
- Laying them on their sides, place the cremini mushrooms on either side of the guacamole face, right below the mouth line, with the stems touching the edge of the guacamole, forming the bolts on the "neck".
- To create the scars, cut 4 of the bell pepper strips in half, creating 8 smaller strips. Place 1 long strip on a diagonal, anywhere on the face you'd like to create a scar. Creating a crosshatch pattern, top the longer strip with 4 smaller strips. Repeat, creating another scar on the face.
- To create the hair, place a layer of the blue corn tortilla chips at the top of the face, with the pointed side facing down, creating the bangs. Place another layer of blue corn tortilla chips, on top and slightly above the bangs, with the straight edges facing upwards, creating the flat surface of the head.
- Serve with more blue corn tortilla chips.
- Tip: Use any remaining bell peppers to serve as dippers for the frankenguac!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa