Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Best of both worlds!
- step-by-step directions
Anita's Seasoning Mix:
- 4 tablespoons dried basil
- 4 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Korean Red Chili Threads
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 red bell pepper (top removed and reserved, seeded, rinsed)
- 1 green bell pepper (top removed and reserved, seeded, rinsed)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (top removed and reserved, seeded, rinsed)
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 yellow onion (peeled, medium dice)
- 1 cup rainbow swiss chard (stemmed, thinly sliced)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound loose hot Italian sausage
- 12 Kalamata olives (pitted, halved)
- 1 and 3/4 cups store-bought tomato sauce (divided)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Anita's seasoning mix (above)
- 1 lemon (halved)
- Mexican cheese blend
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add peppers and tops of peppers, and cook until fork tender, about 3-4 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and allow to cool slightly. Fit bottoms of peppers upright in a 9x13-inch baking dish and set aside. Place the tops of the peppers on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add orzo to boiling water and cook according to package instructions, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rainbow chard and saute until greens have wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.
- Wipe down the saute pan and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once heated, add beef and sausage, and cook until browned and no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain the excess fat and remove meat mixture to a large bowl. Stir in Swiss chard mixture, cooked orzo, kalamata olives, 3/4 cup of tomato sauce, panko bread crumbs, and seasoning spice mix. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Fill each pepper with stuffing mixture, squeeze lemon on top of each pepper, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and top each pepper with cheese blend. Pour the remaining cup of tomato sauce into the bottom of the baking dish and transfer to the oven. Place the baking sheet on the lower rack of the oven. Roast until peppers are completely tender and cheese is golden brown on top, about 30-45 minutes. Remove stuffed peppers and tops from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Place each pepper on an individual plate with the corresponding top, and serve!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa