Greek Lamb Wellington
Try this Greek twist on a dinner party classic.
- step-by-step directions
Greek Lamb Wellington
- 2 pounds boneless lamb loin
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (finely chopped)
- 16 ounce jar grape leaves (about 8 leaves)
- 4-6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- Season the lamb with salt, pepper and the rosemary, coating it on all sides. Begin to drape the grape leaves over the loin, overlapping then, covering it completely. Allow the lamb to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Lay out the first sheet of phyllo and brush the entire surface with butter. Place the second sheet on top then continue the process until you have 4 sheets layered. Brush the final sheet with butter then place the lamb, presentation side down in the center. Trim the sides on the right and left of the lamb loin with kitchen shearers, leaving 1 inch on either side. To fold, bring the bottom of the phyllo over the lamb, fold in the sides then continue to roll up like a burrito. Brush the exposed phyllo dough each time you roll up the loin. Place on a parchment paper-lined sheet tray, seam-side down. Brush the top and sides with the remaining melted butter.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice with a serrated knife in to 1-inch pieces. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.
- After wrapping the lamb in grape leaves, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. This will help the grape leaves stick.
- Replace the rosemary with oregano for a different flavor.
- When working with phyllo dough, don't be shy with butter! Be sure to coat each sheet with well with melted butter.
Similar categories: Ingredients Lamb Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Easter Christmas Cuisine Greek
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat