Green Bloody Mary with Mint Salsa Verde
A fun twist on a Bloody Mary!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 green tomatoes (cored and quartered)
- 5 tomatillos (husks removed)
- 1 head romaine (end removed and chopped)
- 4 stalks celery (divided)
- 4 stalks kale (ribs removed)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 green onion (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Green Bloody Mary:
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces vodka
- 3 tablespoons horseradish (freshly grated)
- green hot sauce (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons mint salsa verde
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- For the Green Juice: Core the green tomatoes and tomatillos.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and blanch green tomatoes and tomatillos until skins begin to soften, about 3 minutes. While they are cooking, set up a large bowl with ice water near by. When the skins are soft and begin to peel back, remove tomatoes to the ice bath to shock.
- In the carafe of a blender add the blanched green tomatoes and tomatillos, romaine, 2 stalks of celery, kale, lemon juice, green onion, cilantro and blend until pureed. Strain the mixture and add the liquid to a serving pitcher, discarding any remaining solids.
- For the Green Bloody Mary: To the pitcher, add worcestershire, vodka, horseradish and stir to combine. Season with salt, pepper and green hot sauce, to taste.
- Fill 2 tall glasses with ice and divide the green bloody mary mixture evenly among the glasses. Top each glass with a tablespoon of mint salsa verde and garnish with a stalk of celery and a lemon wedge.
- Tip: Swap out the vodka for tequila to make a bloody maria!
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat