Grilled Chicken with Charred Garden Salsa
A delicious dish with some great farmers market finds!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 limes (halved)
- 2 chicken halves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Charred Garden Salsa:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green tomatoes (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 3 jalapeno
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bunch scallions (trimmed, plus additional sliced to garnish)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 bunch mint (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 onion (peeled, minced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (peeled, minced)
- 1/2 jalapeno (seeded, minced)
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 lime (zested)
- 1/2 cup farmer's cheese
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Wrap two bricks in foil and place on the grill to preheat. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken skin-side down on the grill, top with bricks and cook until charred on both sides, and cooked through or a meat thermometer registers 165ºF, about 15-20 minutes per side.
- Place the limes on the grill during the last 3 minutes of grilling. Squeeze limes over the chicken before serving.
- For the Charred Garden Salsa: Drizzle the tomatoes, jalapeno, red bell pepper and scallions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and allow to cook until charred and tender. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly. Once cool enough to touch, stem and seed the peppers and roughly chop.
- Remove the grilled vegetables to a food processor. Add the lime juice, sherry, cilantro, mint and olive oil. Puree until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For the Coconut Rice: In a large saute pan add the butter and olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, and nutmeg and allow to cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the unsweetened coconut and cook another 3-4 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. Add the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to a boil, while stirring, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and allow to simmer for 18-20 minutes until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the rice from the heat and fluff with a fork. Stir in the lime zest and cheese and serve.
- To Serve: Place the coconut rice on a large platter, top with chicken halves and spoon salsa over the top. Garnish with additional scallions.
- Tip: Make the coconut rice and garden salsa in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Reheat rice before serving.
rate this recipe
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger
Crispy Beet Sliders