Grilled Pizza Margherita
Grilled pizza from Mario? Don't mind if we do!
- step-by-step directions
Grilled Pizza Margherita
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 recipe basic pizza dough (http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/pizza-dough-mario-batali)
- 1/2 cup basic tomato sauce (http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/basic-tomato-sauce-mario-batali) or jarred sauce
- 3-4 ounces fresh mozzerella (thinly sliced)
- 2 red bell peppers (stemmed, seeded, thinly sliced)
- 6 fresh lemon basil leaves
- coarse sea salt (to taste)
- Heat a grill pan or grill over high heat. Grease the grill pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Let the dough rest for 15 minutes, loosely covered with a tea towel or plastic wrap. Then, using your hands or a rolling pin, stretch the dough into a round about 1/4-inch thick, making sure the dough is evenly flat.
- Carefully lay round of dough over the hottest part of the grill and grill until firm on the bottom and easy to lift, about 2-3 minutes. Using tongs, gently lift up the dough, flip over and cook for just 30 seconds. Transfer to a baking sheet, with the less cooked side up. Allow to cool.
- Lower the grill temperature from high heat to medium heat.
- Using the back of a kitchen spoon or spatula, spread the sauce evenly leaving a 1/2-inch edge of dough. Top the pizza with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the pizza on the cooler part of the grill or grill pan and cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom is crisp and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Meanwhile, while the cheese is melting, preheat a saute pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the red bell pepper and cook until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Top the pizza with the peppers.
- Scatter 6 torn lemon basil leaves over the pizza and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Cut into slices with a pizza wheel and serve hot.
- Tip: Make it a pizza party! Have your guests customize their pizza with their favorite toppings!
Similar categories: Pizza & Pasta
rate this recipe
Pan-Roasted Ribeye with Radishes
Grilled Hot dog with Corn Relish and Pickled Red Onion
Summertime Ambrosia Salad
Baked Brie Bread
Grilled Pork Medallions with Plum Sauce
Grilled Peach Frozen Yogurt Sundae
Pina Colada Pie
Cajun Salmon with Red Beans and Rice
Pork Medallions with Marsala Pan Sauce
Sheet Pan Greek Chicken Salad
Chocolate Pancake Roll