Heart-Healthy Mac and Cheese
Heart-healthy and delicious!
- step-by-step directions
Dairy Free Parmesan Cheese:
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 green zucchini (quartered lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved lengthwise)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound rigatoni
Dairy Free Cheese Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- For the Dairy-Free Parmesan: In the bowl of a food processor, add the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt. Pulse until consistency is a fine crumb. Store in the refrigerator and keep up to one week.
- For the Roasted Vegetables: Preheat the oven to 500ºF.
- In a large bowl, toss the zucchini and tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and roast until charred, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the rigatoni and cook 2 minutes less than indicated on package directions. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
- For the Vegan Cheese Sauce: In a large, high-sided saute pan over medium high heat, warm olive oil. Add garlic and flour and whisk until a sandy texture forms. Slowly whisk in the cashew milk, and allow the mixture to thicken slightly, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the dairy-free parmesan and hot sauce.
- Stir in the roasted vegetables and rigatoni. Garnish with fresh parsley to serve.
- Tip: Use your own favorite medley of roasted vegetables to give this dish your own personal flair!
rate this recipe
Grilling Three Ways
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Giant Donut Cake
Corn Fritters with Spicy Honey
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca
Craig T. Nelson's Chicken Burritos
30 Layer Rainbow Crepe Cake
Pan-Roasted Ribeye with Radishes
Grilled Hot dog with Corn Relish and Pickled Red Onion
Summertime Ambrosia Salad