Honey and Pine Nut Tart
This sweet treat is perfect for any time of day!
- step-by-step directions
Honey and Pine Nut Tart
- 1 recipe Sweet Tart Pie Crust
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups pine nuts
- 1 pint vanilla gelato (to serve)
- On a floured board, roll the tart dough into an 11-inch circle 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the dough to a 10-inch tart pan with fluted sides and a removable bottom by rolling the dough around the pin like a carpet and then unrolling it onto the pan. Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan, then trim it so it is flush with the top of the pan. Chill the tart shell while you make the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and position a rack in the center.
- To make the Custard: in a medium saucepan, add honey, sugar, and salt and stir to combine. Add the butter and place the saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often. Remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl; allow to cool 20 minutes. Add the heavy cream and whisk to combine, followed by the egg and egg yolk.
- Distribute the pine nuts evenly over the bottom of the tart shell and pour the custard into the shell until it reaches the top of the crust. Place the tart on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until both the crust and the filling have turned light golden brown and the custard is set but still jiggly. Allow the tart to cool completely on a rack before carefully removing the sides of the pan.
- Serve the tart while still slightly warm, or cool it and serve at room temperature. Top with a scoop of vanilla gelato.
- Helpful Tips:
- Wrapped in plastic, leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Use store-bought pie dough for a quick short cut!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa