Jerk Chicken Skewers
A delicious treat for the grill!
- step-by-step directions
Jerk Chicken Skewers
- 4 scallions (root ends removed, roughly chopped)
- 2 scotch bonnets or habanero peppers (seeds and ribs removed, roughly chop)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled, roughly chopped)
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger (peeled, roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 limes (zested, juiced)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 6 (6-8 inch) wooden skewers (soaked in water)
- olive oil (to drizzle)
- 3 limes (halved)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add the scallions, scotch bonnet peppers, garlic cloves, ginger, thyme leaves, cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar, lime zest and juice, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Puree mixture until smooth. Remove the mixture to a large zip-top bag along with the chicken, and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and thread chicken pieces halfway up the skewers, about 4 pieces per stick. Drizzle with olive oil and place on the grill. Repeat with the rest of the chicken. Cook until charred on all sides and chicken is cooked through or a meat thermometer reaches 165ºF, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a large serving platter.
- Drizzle the cut side of the lime halves with olive oil and place, flesh down on the grill. Cook until charred, about 2-3 minutes. Add the limes to the serving platter and enjoy!
- Tip: Store any leftover jerk marinade in an airtight container and use on any chicken, pork, or swordfish dish!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa