Lemon Bar Slab Pie
A tasty summer treat!
- step-by-step directions
- 4 sticks unsalted butter (softened, plus extra for greasing)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 lemons (zested)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
Lemon Bar Filling:
- 7 large eggs
- 3 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 lemons juice and zest (about 1 cup of juice, zest of 3 lemons reserved, divided)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a half baking sheet with butter.
- For the Shortbread Crust: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest and beat for another minute, or until blended.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until fully incorporated, taking care not to over-mix the dough.
- Turn dough out onto prepared baking sheet and evenly press into the bottom and about 1/2-inch up the sides of the baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 10-15 minutes, or until mostly firm.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, until just cooked and pale golden in color. Leave oven on. Allow crust to cool completely on a wire rack
- For the Filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and zest of 2 lemons. Separation of mixture is normal.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture until just combined. Pour the mixture into the baked crust and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is set. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Once completely cooled, cut lemon bars into 32 squares.
- Zest remaining lemons onto a 1/4 cookie sheet and let sit out for 20 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle over confectioners sugar and dried lemon zest. Generously sprinkle over the lemon bars.
- Tip: Blend and strain some fresh raspberries or strawberries for a tangy sauce!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger