Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Cake
You won't even believe it's vegan!
- step-by-step directions
Sugared Blueberries and Lemon Zest:
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 lemon (peeled, zest thinly cut into strips)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Cornmeal Blueberry Cake:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (for greasing)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups coconut milk (canned, stirred well)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 7 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 lemon (zested and juiced)
- For the Sugared Blueberries and Lemon Zest:
- Line a baking sheet with a baking rack and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the blueberries and lemon zest and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the water and sugar and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled, pour mixture over the blueberry mixture and stir to coat. Remove to the baking rack and set aside until completely dried, about 2 hours.
- For the Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Cake: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease four 9-inch cake pans with coconut oil and line with parchment paper. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and whisk to combine.
- Add frozen blueberries to a medium bowl and add 1-2 tablespoons of the flour mixture and toss to coat. Set blueberries aside.
- In a separate large bowl, add the applesauce, coconut milk, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Add to the flour mixture, whisking until just combined. Fold in the frozen blueberries and divide the cake batter evenly amongst the 4 greased cake pans. Transfer cakes to the oven and bake until golden brown or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the Lemon Buttercream: In the bowl of standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the butter and coconut cream, and beat until smooth. Add the powdered sugar in increments, beating in between additions until completely smooth and light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix to combine. Add water to thin out if buttercream is too thick.
- To Serve: Remove the cakes from their pans and discard the parchment paper. Place one cake round on a cake stand or large plate and spread 1/4 of the buttercream evenly on top of the first cake. Place a second cake round on top of the buttercream and repeat with remaining cake layers and buttercream, ending in buttercream. Top with sugared blueberries and lemon zest. Slice and serve!
- Tip: Bake cake batter in lined muffin tins to turn this dessert into a tasty breakfast pastry!
rate this recipe
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad
Peanut Butter Espresso Milkshake
Grilling Three Ways
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini