Magical Moon Pies
Make these moon pies for dessert tonight!
- step-by-step directions
Magical Moon Pies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups marshmallow spread
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave or corn syrup
- For the Shortbread Cookies: in the bowl of a stand mixer add butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, add flour, graham cracker crumbs and salt and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture gradually to the creamed butter and mix just until a dough forms. Form the dough into 1 1/2-inch log, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven to a baking rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the Filling: in a medium bowl, add the marshmallow spread and orange zest. Transfer marshmallow mixture to a piping bag or large ziptop bag. Pipe 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of cookie. Top with a second cookie and lightly press to spread to edges. Repeat with remaining cookies. Transfer cookies to a tray and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- For the Chocolate Glaze: line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl add the chocolate, coconut oil and agave and melt over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring in 30-second intervals. Allow to cool. Using 2 forks, dip each sandwich cookie into chocolate until coated. Arrange on baking sheet and place in the refrigerator. Allow to chill until the chocolate has set, about 1 hour.
- Helpful Tip: store the chocolate glaze at room temperature in a squeeze bottle.
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad