Milk Braised Capon
Michael Symon wins the holiidays with this Milk Braised Capon!
- step-by-step directions
Milk Braised Capon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 pound whole capon (cut into 6 pieces, reserving wings for another use)
- 2 cups whole pearl onions (peeled)
- 8 cloves garlic (peeled, smashed)
- 2 quince (peeled, cut into wedges, cored)
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons quince paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- parsley (roughly chopped, to garnish)
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Season the capon pieces with salt and pepper on both sides, then place in the pan skin-side down. Cook until deeply golden brown, about 5-6 minutes, then flip and brown the other side. When all of the capon pieces are browned, transfer to a plate.
- Place the pan back on the heat and add the onions, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onions begin to soften and brown, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the quince and thyme. Cook for an additional minute or two, then add the white wine. Reduce the wine by two-thirds, then add the chicken stock and milk. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Add the capon pieces back in, skin-side up, making sure the skin does not get submerged. Simmer until the capon is cooked through, about 35-40 minutes. Remove capon from pan and whisk in the quince paste and parsley. Serve capon with sauce spooned on top.
- Tip: If your local market doesn't carry quince, apples or pears will make a great seasonal substitute!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa