Muffaletta with Olive Relish
A tasty sandwich from Michael Symon!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 cup mixed oil-packed olives (pitted)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 small poppyseed buns
- 1/2 pound mortadella (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 pound soppressata (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 pound capicola (thinly sliced)
- 1 red onion (peeled, thinly shaved)
- 2 red bell peppers (roasted, sliced)
- 1 cup fresh basil (leaves only)
- stadium mustard (to serve)
- For the Olive Relish: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment, add olives, capers, garlic and red wine vinegar. Pulse to chop and combine. With the motor running, drizzle in olive oil until the relish is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove to a medium bowl.
- For the Muffaletta: Place shaved red onion in a bowl with ice water and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes. Drain and remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Spoon a generous amount of the olive relish on to the insides of one of the bottom poppy seed bun and layer with desired amount of mortadella, soppressata and capicola. Top meats with shaved red onion, roasted red peppers and whole basil leaves. Spread desired amount of mustard on the inside of the top bun and place on top of the sandwich. Slice in half and enjoy!
- To Roast the Red Peppers: Preheat the broiler.
- Place the red peppers on a baking sheet, and under the broiler until charred on all sides, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to a large plastic bowl, cover with plastic and allow to steam for 10 minutes. Remove from the bowl and peel the skin off using a clean kitchen towel. Remove the stems and seeds and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Tip: Have extra olive relish? Make a tasty bruschetta by spreading the relish on some grilled bread!
Similar categories: Lunch
rate this recipe
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Peanut Butter Espresso Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad
Grilling Three Ways
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini
Giant Donut Cake
Corn Fritters with Spicy Honey
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca