Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
A winner of a dish!
- step-by-step directions
Fried Hot Fish:
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal (finely ground)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups cold seltzer
- 4 trout fish fillets (skinless)
- 1 cup cornmeal (finely ground)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup onion (peeled, grated)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (melted)
- 4 slices white bread
- yellow mustard (to taste)
- hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 white onion (peeled, sliced thin)
- dill pickle chips
- For the Fried Hot Fish: In a large Dutch oven or cast iron pan, preheat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 360ºF.
- Whisk the cornmeal, a 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, cornstarch, onion powder, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in seltzer until combined.
- In a large shallow baking dish, add the remaining 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Season the whiting fish fillets with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge the fish in the flour, coating both sides of the fillet, then dredge in the cornmeal batter and gently place into the preheated oil. Fry until fish is cooked through and golden brown, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining fish fillets.
- For the Hushpuppies: In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, paprika, black pepper, cayenne, and onion.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, garlic and bacon fat.
- Slowly add the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture, whisking to combine, until completely incorporated.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop the batter into rounded balls and gently place in the same preheated oil. Fry until cooked through and golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool slightly.
- To Assemble: Place each fried fish fillet on top of a slice of white bread and top with desired amount of mustard, hot sauce, onions and pickles. Serve hushpuppies on the side.
- Tip: If your local fishmonger doesn't carry whiting fish, catfish or tilapia will make a great substitute!
rate this recipe
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad
Peanut Butter Espresso Milkshake
Grilling Three Ways
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini
Giant Donut Cake
Corn Fritters with Spicy Honey
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca