Oyster Po' Boys
A great recipe from The Smolletts!
- step-by-step directions
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups bagged carrot and cabbage mixture
- 36 large oysters (about seven 6-ounce jars)
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 2 eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 French bread or bolillo sandwich rolls
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the carrot and cabbage slaw mix and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
- Line a plate with paper towels, rinse the oysters, and let them drain on the lined plate.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, granulated garlic, oregano, basil, paprika, thyme, granulated onion, white pepper, and dried mustard in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Transfer the oysters to the egg mixture to coat, letting the excess drip off, then coat them one at a time in the dry mixture. Set aside.
- Line another plate with paper towels and set aside. Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet or heavy-bottomed frying pan over high heat until very hot. (sprinkle a little of the dry spice mix in the oil and if it sizzles, the oil is ready.) Working in batches so as not to overcrowd the skillet, fry the oysters about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the oysters to the lined plate. While still hot, sprinkle them with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Slice open the rolls and warm them in the oven for 3 minutes. Spread both sides of the bread with mayonnaise and ketchup. Place 6 oysters on the bottom of each sandwich and top with coleslaw. Top the sandwiches and serve immediately!
- Tip: Substitute the oysters for popcorn shrimp for a tasty twist!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa