Pear Pie Spring Rolls
A great dish from Michael Symon!
- step-by-step directions
For the Spring Rolls:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups Bartlett pears (peeled, cored, small dice)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 10-12 spring roll pastry
- water (for brushing)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
For the Maple Soy Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- For the Spring Rolls: In a medium size pan over medium heat, add olive oil, pears, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and lemon juice. Cook, stirring often until pears are tender and pear liquid has reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove pear mixture to a bowl and allow to cool, about 30 minutes.
- On a work surface, place one spring roll wrapper with one edge of the wrapper facing you. Top with 2 tablespoons of pear filling. Fold the edge closest to you over the filling, then brush the three remaining edges with water using a pastry brush. Fold in the sides of the egg roll and continue to roll the egg roll up until it is closed. Press to seal, set aside and continue with the remaining spring roll wrappers. Keep a damp towel over spring roll wrappers while working to prevent the wrappers from drying out.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add 2-3 inches of oil. Heat oil to 350ºF.
- Add the spring rolls to the oil, dropping them away from you, so oil does not splatter towards you. Fry each spring roll until browned and crispy on all sides, about 4-5 minutes. Remove spring rolls with a slotted spoon or spider to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with soy sauce caramel sauce.
- For the Maple Soy Dipping Sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the coconut oil, maple syrup, soy sauce and stir until the coconut oil is dissolved. Take off the heat and whisk in the almond butter.
- Serve the Soy caramel sauce with the spring rolls.
- Tip: Make ahead of time and freeze spring rolls before frying for a stress-free turkey day dessert!
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad