Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad
A delicious meal for any day of the week!
- step-by-step directions
Steak and Peppers:
- 1 (2-pound) sirloin steak (1/4-inch thick, cut into strips)
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander (cracked)
- 1 teaspoon aleppo pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 1 shallot (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers (tops removed, seeded, thinly sliced into strips)
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
Broccoli Stem Salad:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 4 broccoli stems (peeled, thinly sliced into strips)
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup cilantro (leaves only)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Steak and Peppers: Season the steak on both sides with coriander, aleppo pepper, and salt.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the peanut oil. Add the steak to the pan and allow to cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and shallots and allow to crisp slightly, about 1-2 minutes. Add peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with white wine and scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the soy sauce and beef stock and cook until thickened slightly. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Remove the pepper steak mixture to a large serving platter and top with the broccoli stem salad.
- For the Broccoli Stem Salad: In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, Dijon mustard, lime juice, rice wine vinegar and honey. Drizzle in the peanut oil, whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli stems, peanuts and cilantro. Drizzle the dressing around the sides of the bowl with the broccoli stems and toss to coat completely.
- Tip: Crunched for time? Purchase pre-cut bell peppers and fajita steak meat at your local market!
rate this recipe
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger
Crispy Beet Sliders