Pina Colada Pie
Tastes like paradise!
- step-by-step directions
Coconut Crunch Pie Crust:
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- pinch Kosher salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs (1 whole, 3 yolks)
- 2 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Rum Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream (chilled)
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pineapple (peeled, cored, finely crushed)
- maraschino cherries (to garnish)
- For the Coconut Crunch Pie Crust: Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, add the butter, sugar, flour and sweetened coconut flakes and stir to combine. Remove the mixture to a rimmed baking sheet and shake into an even layer. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until a light golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, transfer crust to a 9-inch pie plate and press into the bottom of plate, covering the bottom and sides evenly. Set aside to cool completely.
- For the Vanilla Custard: Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add sugar, cornstarch, salt, eggs, and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in the milk until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and whisk to combine. Whisk continuously until mixture comes to a 165ºF and thickens, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and strain custard over a large bowl. Add butter and stir until melted. Place the bowl of custard over the bowl of ice water and stir until the mixture has cooled to room temperature. Pour custard into the baked crust, and using a rubber spatula, smooth out the top of the custard. Cover the pie with plastic wrap, ensuring the plastic touches the surface of the custard. Place in the refrigerator and chill until custard has set completely, about 8 hours, or overnight.
- For the Rum Whipped Cream: In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the heavy cream and beat until soft peaks form, about 1-2 minutes. Add the confectioners' sugar, rum and vanilla extract and beat until medium peaks form.
- To Assemble: Remove the set pie from the refrigerator and top with crushed pineapple, using a rubber spatula to spread into an even layer. Spread the rum whipped cream evenly on top of pineapple and top with desired amount of maraschino cherries. Slice into wedges and serve!
- Tip: Assemble this pie (without the pineapple and whipped cream) a few days in advance and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad