Pineapple Foster with Pound Cake
The gift that just keeps on giving.
- step-by-step directions
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pineapple (skin removed, cored, cut 3/4-inch chunks)
- 1/2-3/4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (to serve)
- For the Pound Cake: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil and lemon zest until combined. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean from the center of the loaf. Allow to cool slightly, then remove from the pan to cool completely. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Pineapple Sauce: Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add butter. Once the butter melts, add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix to combine. Allow the sugar to dissolve, add the pineapple and shake the pan. Cook until the pineapple is warmed through and slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rum, remove the pan from the heat and ignite. Allow the flames to extinguish.
- To Serve: Preheat a griddle or a nonstick saute pan over medium-low heat. Slice the pound cake into 1/2-inch thick slices. Brush both sides of the pound cake with butter and place on the griddle. Allow to toast on both sides until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from the griddle and top with pineapple sauce and ice cream.
- Tip: Use your favorite fruit to make this dessert! Make the sauce and pound cake in advance and reheat before serving to guests!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa