Pistachio Pudding with Orange Liqueur Whipped Cream
Inspired by a Broadway classic!
- step-by-step directions
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups pistachios (unsalted, shelled)
- 2 and 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole milk (divided)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Orange Liqueur Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup pistachios (toasted, chopped, to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 gingersnap cookies (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- For the Pistachio Pudding:
- In a large bowl, add 1/2 cup of sugar, egg, egg yolks, cornstarch and salt, whisking until mixture is a pale yellow color, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add the pistachios and pulse until finely ground into a powder. Add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk, and process until mixture forms a paste. Remove paste to a large saucepan and and set over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 and 1/2 cups of milk, whisking until smooth. Allow milk mixture to cook until it is about to boil and remove from heat.
- To the egg mixture, add 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture, whisking to combine. Slowly add in the remaining milk mixture, whisking continuously until fully incorporated. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over medium heat. Whisk continuously until mixture starts to boil and thicken slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat once more and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract. Once the butter has melted, strain through a fine mesh sieve. Divide the strained pudding evenly amongst 4 pudding glasses and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cover each glass with plastic wrap, touching the plastic to the surface of the pudding and transfer to the refrigerator until set and chilled, about 4 hours.
- For the Orange Liqueur Whipped Cream: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the heavy cream and whip until soft peaks form, about 1-2 minutes. Add the orange liqueur and confectioners' sugar and whip until medium peaks form.
- Add the pistachios to a baking sheet and transfer to the oven to toast for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven, top with butter and sprinkle with salt. Toss to combine and set aside until ready to use.
- To assemble, top each glass of pudding with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with chopped pistachios. Using a microplane, grate some gingersnap cookie on top of each pudding to finish.
- Tip: Try this method using your favorite nut, like peanuts or walnuts to put your own personal spin on this recipe!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa