Pizza Spring Rolls
What a combo!
- step-by-step directions
Pizza Spring Rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion (peeled, small dice)
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms (small dice)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled, 2 minced and 1 whole, divided)
- 1 pound ground sweet sausage (removed from casings)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup low-moisture mozzarella (freshly grated)
- 1 package (8-inch) round rice paper wrappers
- 2 large eggs (whites only)
- 1 cup store-bought marinara sauce (divided, half warmed)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- For the Filling: In a saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add onion and mushrooms to pan and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high and add sausage, oregano, thyme and red chile flakes. Break the sausage up using the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher until browned, about 7-9 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove mixture from heat and transfer to a medium bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup of marinara sauce, mix until fully combined. Set aside.
- To assemble: Fill a large Dutch oven with 2-3 inches of oil and preheat to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with a baking rack and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add egg whites and whisk. Set aside.
- On a clean workspace, lay a wrapper down and brush both sides with the egg wash. The rice paper should soften and become pliable. Rub the rice paper with the remaining halved clove of garlic. Add about 1/4 cup of prepared sausage filling at the bottom third of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom lip of the rice paper over the filling, fold the sides inward and roll upwards to form a seam. Repeat until all filling has been used up.
- Working in small batches, fry rolls, turning halfway through, until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes per side. Transfer to baking rack and keep warm.
- To Serve: Transfer rolls to serving platter and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Tip: Get creative! Fill the pizza spring rolls with your favorite pizza toppers to make this recipe your own!
rate this recipe
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad