Poached Salmon Farfalle with Cream Sauce
A tasty dish the fam will love!
- step-by-step directions
- 5 cups water
- 1 lemon (cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds)
- 2 shallots (peeled, halved lengthwise)
- 1 stalk celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 carrots (peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 2 (4-ounce) skinless salmon fillets
Farfalle with Cream Sauce:
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 and 1/4 cups heavy cream (divided)
- 1 pound farfalle
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot (peeled, minced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 recipe poached salmon
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed, drained)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- fresh parsley (finely chopped, to garnish)
- tarragon (finely chopped, to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the Poached Salmon: Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- In a large deep skillet, over medium-high heat, add water, lemon, shallots, celery, carrots, bay leaf, 2 tablespoons salt and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- On a clean workspace, season salmon with salt. Carefully transfer salmon into the pan, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until desired doneness has been reached, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from poaching liquid using a slotted spoon, transfer to prepared plate and allow to cool slightly.
- Using two forks, gently shred the salmon into bite-sized pieces and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- For the Farfalle with Vodka Cream Sauce: In a medium bowl, add egg yolks and 1/4 cup of heavy cream, whisk to combine and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add farfalle and cook until al dente, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan over medium heat, add butter. Once butter has melted, add shallot and cook until translucent and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vodka and cook until it has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 cups of heavy cream and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture has reduced by half, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the egg yolk mixture.
- Add farfalle and toss to combine. Add reserved pasta water if sauce is too thick. Reduce heat to low and stir in prepared salmon and peas. Cook until salmon and peas are warmed through, about 1 minute. Add lemon zest and season with salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Garnish with parsley and tarragon, spoon pasta in bowls, and serve immediately!
- Tip: Substitute vodka with water if trying to avoid alcohol!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa