Mac and Cheese Pot Pie
Chew crew correspondent Jason Roberts put his own creative twist on mac and cheese that you've got to try!
- step-by-step directions
Mac and Cheese Pot Pie
- 3 cup milk
- 1 small onion (peeled and stuck with 6 cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon plain flour (sifted)
- freshly ground white pepper
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 pound macaroni elbows (cooked)
- 2 slices bacon (diced and lightly fried)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 pound fresh ricotta
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1/4 cup water)
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Bring the milk, onion and bay leaf slowly to the boil, set aside to infuse for a moment.
- Over a gentle heat melt the butter. Add the flour, stirring thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for approximately 3 minutes stirring constantly then remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the onion from the milk and retain. Whisk all the hot milk over the roux then continue stirring until the sauce boils and thickens. Return the onion to the sauce.
- Season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg and cover the surface with parchment or baking paper then simmer very slowly for 20 -25 minutes.
- Remove onion, and add in tomato paste, whisk till thoroughly incorporated, allow to cool.
- Meanwhile take your individual pie dishes and invert over rolled puff pastry, cutting a lid for each potted pie.
- Mix gently the chopped rosemary, bacon and pasta through the cooled sauce, crumble over the fresh ricotta and fold through gently.
- Take your individual pots and fill almost to the top, then scatter with a little parmesan cheese.
- Secure each piece of puff pastry to a potted pie with a little egg wash. Egg wash the top of each pie topping.
- Place into a pre heated oven of 200 degrees C/430 degrees F for 12- 15 minutes, or until well risen and golden.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa