This seasonal dish is a great addition to any meal.
- step-by-step directions
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin or butternut squash puree or canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unbleached (all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus more for garnish
- finely ground black pepper (to taste)
- olive oil (for frying)
- good balsamic vinegar (for garnish)
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
- If you are using a fresh pumpkin cut the pumpkin and scrape out the seeds and stringy bits. Rub the inside with olive oil (or softened butter), and season with salt. Place cut side down on a sheet tray lined with parchment and cook until soft, about 40-45 minutes. Scrape out the puree and toss the skins.
- Place the pumpkin puree in a medium bowl. Lightly beat the eggs with a fork and stir them into the pumpkin with a wooden spoon or spatula. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the puree mixture, along with the grated cheese, the parsley, nutmeg and a pinch of black pepper. Use the wooden spoon or fork to combine all the ingredients in to a light batter; be careful not to over mix it.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Fill pot no more than 2/3rds of the way full, allowing room for the oil to expand. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the batter until the fritters are golden brown. Fry in batches, cooking for about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain the fritters on paper towels and serve hot. Garnish with Parmigiano, parsley and balsamic.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch Desserts Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Other Side Dishes
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa