Roasted Garlic Meatloaf
Can't go wrong with a good meatloaf!
- step-by-step directions
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Meatloaf:
- 3 heads garlic
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups white or sourdough bread (finely diced)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound veal
- 1 cup onion (peeled, grated)
- 1 cup red bell pepper (stemmed, grated)
- 1 heaping tablespoon thyme leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 heaping tablespoon oregano leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 recipe mashed potatoes (http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/perfect-mashed-potatoes-michael-symon)
- For the Glaze: In a medium bowl, add the ketchup, light brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, and black pepper. Whisk to combine, and set aside.
- For the Meatloaf: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Remove the outer papery skin off the garlic, then cut 1/4-inch off the top of each head. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over each head of garlic, then wrap each head in foil. Seal the foil packets and transfer to a sheet tray. Place sheet tray in oven and roast until completely soft and caramelized, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic cloves from the skin into a medium bowl and mash with a fork into a paste.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375ºF.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl add the bread and pour over the milk and allow to soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze most of the milk out of the bread, then add it to the garlic cloves and discard the milk. Mash the garlic and bread together to form a uniform paste and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the chuck, pork, veal, onion, red bell pepper, thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, parsley, eggs, panko breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and the garlic mixture. Mix ingredients well and season well with salt and pepper.
- Form meat mixture into a loaf on prepared sheet tray. Spread the glaze over the top and bake for 1 hour at 375ºF, until cooked through and the glaze is sticky. Remove from the oven and let set for a few minutes before thickly slicing and serve alongside mashed potatoes.
- Tip: This is the perfect dish to prepare ahead of time, freeze, and bake for a last minute meal!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa