Roasted Pork Shoulder in Banana Leaf
Michael Symon for the win!
- step-by-step directions
Roasted Pork Shoulder in Banana Leaves:
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon Aleppo pepper
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 4- pound pork shoulder (bone-in, skinless)
- 2 banana leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Butcher's twine
- sweet Hawaiian rolls
- lime (cut into wedges)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (picked into plooms)
- hot sauce (to taste)
- pickled jalapeno slices
- pickled red onion
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the coriander, cumin, Aleppo, salt, black pepper, and brown sugar. Season the pork, on both sides with the spice rub. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, remove the pork from the refrigerator and plastic wrap at least 30 minutes prior to cooking to allow it come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place 4 long pieces of Butcher's twine in a double-cross formation in the bottom of a large Dutch oven, resembling the pound sign. Strip the stems and veins of the banana leaves and lay them over the string, criss-crossing and overlapping. Place the pork on the banana leaves, fat side up, then drizzle pork with olive oil. Wrap the pork securely in the leaves, folding in all of the sides and overlapping them. Tie with Butcher's twine tightly to form a tight package. Pour the water over the leaves to moisten.
- Place in the oven and roast until meat is completely tender, and reaches an internal temperature of 195ºF, about 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 1 hour.
- To Serve: Slice the pork and remove to a platter. Drizzle with drippings and top with cilantro plooms and pickled red onions. Or make a sandwich by placing desired amount of pork in a sweet Hawaiian bun with desired toppings.
- Tip: Use any leftover pork for a very tasty taco night!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa