Roman-Style Stuffed Artichokes
Using these simple ingredients can make your artichokes the perfect side!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 Italian loaf
- 6 medium artichokes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup Pecorino Romano (grated)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan (grated, plus additional to garnish)
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled, finely minced)
- 1/2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup mint (finely chopped)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons (zested, juiced)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- water (to cover artichokes)
- For Bread Crumbs: Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In the bowl of a food processor, tear up a loaf of day old Italian bread and pulse until bread crumbs are coarse. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake until the bread crumbs are lightly toasted and dried out. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs for artichokes.
- For Artichokes: To clean the artichokes, cut the stems off so the artichokes stand upright. Peel the outer skin of the stem off and slice. Pull off the tough outer green leaves until you get to the more tender center that is slightly yellow. Trim the top 1/4 off of the artichoke and scoop out the center choke. Place the sliced stems in the bottom of a Dutch oven and place the trimmed artichokes on top.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the bread crumbs, Pecorino, Parmesan, parsley, mint, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil, and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the bread crumb mixture evenly amongst the artichokes, packing it into the center as well as the outer leaves. Pour the white wine in the bottom of the pot and add enough cold water to reach the bottom of the artichoke leaves, about 1-inch. Place the Dutch oven over medium-high heat and bring to a gentle boil. Cover and reduce the heat. Simmer until the artichokes are tender and the leaves pull away easily, about 40-45 minutes. Serve the artichokes warm or at room temperature. Garnish with grated Parmesan.
- Tip: Use a serrated knife and a pairing knife to make trimming the artichokes easier.
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa