This traditional Greek dish is cheesy & delicious!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more)
- 8 slices halloumi cheese (cut into 1-inch slices, about 8 ounces)
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 2 cloves garlic (smashed with skin on)
- 2 tablespoons Greek brandy
- 1 lemon (juice)
- pita bread (soft and warmed to serve)
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, add cheese slices, garlic cloves and oregano. Sear the cheese until golden brown, 1-2 minutes then flip and sear on the other side, 1 minute.
- Pull pan off the heat. Very carefully, standing away from the pan, add the brandy and flambé with lighter. Return to heat. Allow flame to subside. Add lemon juice and swirl to combine. To finish, drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve immediately with warm pita bread.
- Have all ingredients prepared ahead of time. The process goes quickly!
- Remove the brandy for a kid-friendly appetizer!
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Dinner Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Cheese Appetizers Cuisine Greek
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa