Sea Island Shrimp and Grits
Carla Hall's Shrimp and Grits don't get any better!
- step-by-step directions
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound large shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail-on)
- 1 yellow onion (peeled, small dice)
- 1 green bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, small dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, sliced)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 plum tomatoes (small dice)
- 3 tablespoons parsley (chopped, to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Grits: In a medium saucepan add the water and bring to a boil. Slowly stream in the grits and whisk until combined. Add the bay leaf and season with salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue whisking the grits. Cook for 40-45 minute, stirring often, until the grits are thick and creamy. Remove bay leaf and stir in the thyme leaves and pepper. Keep warm.
- For the Shrimp: In a large saute pan add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sear for 2 minutes per side, until just pink and opaque, being cautious to not overcook. Remove the shrimp to a plate.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili flakes during the last minute of cooking. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and cook an additional minute. Add the shrimp back to the pan, toss to combine and serve over the grits. Garnish with parsley.
- Tip: Crunched for time? Substitute quick grits to cut down on the cooking time!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa