A tasty comfort food that will keep your belly warm and your guests full!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 16 ounces Irish Sausage or Sweet Sausage (removed from casings)
- 4 ounces Bacon (chopped)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and cut in 1/2 moons)
- 2 Leeks (split, chopped)
- 1 ounce Irish Whiskey (or Whiskey)
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Peas (fresh or frozen)
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled)
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add the Olive Oil and Sausage and cook until it has crisped and rendered its fat. Add the Bacon and cook until crisp.
- Add the Carrots, Leeks, cooking until the vegetables have softened. Deglaze the pan with Whiskey.
- Add the Flour and cook until the Flour has integrated and a wet sand texture. Add the Peas and Chicken Stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the sauce comes together and thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Pipe the Mashed Potatoes over the top of the filling and transfer to the oven. Broil for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- For Mashed Potatoes: Place Potatoes in a large pot and cover with Water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil and season with Salt. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Press the Potatoes through a ricer. Whisk in about 1 cup of Olive Oil. Transfer to a piping bag.
Similar categories: Ingredients Beef Potato Courses & Meals Dinner Beef Holidays & Occasions St. Patrick's Day
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat