Make these take-out favorites at home!
- step-by-step directions
- 1/2 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined, tails removed)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg white (beaten until frothy)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tsp fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 lime (zested)
- 1/4 cup finely sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 4-6 slices Pullman loaf (sliced 1/4" thick)
- vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds (to garnish)
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the shrimp, egg white, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and lime zest. Pulse until the mixture resembles a course paste then pour in to a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper then fold in the scallions and cilantro.
- In a large heavy bottomed pan heat 2 inches of oil to 350°F .
- Spread all of the bread with the shrimp mixture. Add the bread to the oil, shrimp side down, and cook for 2 minutes, until light golden brown. Gently flip and continue to cook for an additional minute. Remove to paper towels or a draining rack and season with salt. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, lime juice and more cilantro. Cut in to triangles and serve immediately.
- Tip: Make the shrimp "mousse" ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Fry just before serving.
Similar categories: Ingredients Fish & Seafood Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Seafood Appetizers Cuisine Asian
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat