All the delicious flavors of sloppy joes but without the guilt! This lightened up version of your favorite summer camp meal will please the whole family!!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 medium yellow onion (medium dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground dark meat chicken
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 russet potato (grated)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 bottle lager beer
- 4 potato buns
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the spices, and stir to combine. Cook for a minute or 2 to toast the spices. Then add the ground chicken, breaking up the meat with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until the chicken has browned, about 8 minutes. Next, stir in the potato, tomato paste, and ketchup and cook for 3-5 minutes. Pour in the beer, bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and serve on potato buns.
- If you can't find ground chicken, replace with ground turkey. Or, ask your butcher to grind up the chicken meat.
- Replace the beer with water or chicken stock for a kid-friendly dish!
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Lunch Sandwiches Other Everyday Meals Presented By Bush's
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat