Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
- step-by-step directions
Basil Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5-6 basil leaves (thinly sliced)
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresca:
- 1 (14-15 pound) seedless watermelon (peeled, cut into 2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup silver tequila
- 1/2 cup water
- 7 limes (6 sliced into rounds, 1 zested and juiced)
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- prosecco (to top)
- For the Basil Simple Syrup: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add the water, sugar and basil leaves and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved, about 1-2 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, and discard basil. Add the simple syrup to a large pitcher and set aside.
- For the Sparkling Agua Fresca: In the carafe of a blender, add the watermelon and puree in batches. Strain the pureed watermelon into the large pitcher as you go and repeat until all of the watermelon has been strained into the pitcher. Add the tequila, water, and lime rounds to the pitcher and stir to combine.
- In a shallow bowl, add the kosher salt and lime zest and stir to combine. Dip the rim of each coupe glass in the lime juice and then into lime-salt. Repeat with remaining glasses and fill with crushed ice. To serve, nearly fill each glass with watermelon mixture, top with prosecco, and serve!
- Tip: Substitute the watermelon with your favorite tropical fruit, like pineapple for a tasty twist!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa