Spiced Pineapple Pecan Cake
This spiced cake is a delicious dessert!
- step-by-step directions
Spiced Pineapple Pecan Cake
Pecan Spice Cake
- butter (for greasing pans)
- 1 cup pecans (toasted)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened, plus additional for greasing)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (separated, plus more for dusting pans)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh pineapple (skin removed, large dice)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lime (zested & juiced)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 packages cream cheese (softened, 8 ounces each)
- 2 sticks butter (unsalted & room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole pecans
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease three 9-inch cake pans with butter and line with parchment. Grease parchment with butter and dust with flour, shaking out any excess.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add pecans and 1/4 cup flour, and pulse until finely ground. Remove and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add light and dark brown sugar and butter and cream until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add oil and mix to combine. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a large bowl add remaining 1 3/4 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and salt and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix to combine. Add buttermilk and ground pecans and mix to combine. Evenly divide between three cake pans.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove to a baking rack to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto the baking rack to cool completely. Meanwhile make the pineapple filling.
- For the Pineapple Filling: in the bowl of a food processor add the fresh pineapple and pulse until finely chopped. Remove the pineapple and juice to a small saucepan heated over medium heat. Add brown sugar, cornstarch, lime zest and juice. Bring to a simmer and stir until slightly thickened and sugar has dissolved. Remove to a bowl to cool completely.
- For the Cream Cheese Icing: in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the cream cheese and butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the powered sugar gradually, beating until well combined. Add the vanilla and mix to combined. Place cream cheese icing into a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- To Assemble: spread about 1/3 of the cream cheese icing on the bottom cake. Top with second layer. Spread pineapple filling on top of second layer and top with third layer of cake. Spread top of cake with cream cheese frosting, leaving the sides bare. Pipe rosettes 1-inch apart around the outer rim of the top of the cake. To make a rosette, pipe with star tip in a 1-inch circle, swirling to meet the center. Top each rosette with a pecan.
- Sift dry ingredients for a perfectly light and evenly distributed cake.
- Use an offset spatula to smooth the icing on top of the cake.
- Make three slices in the cake, for the first two pieces. This makes it easier to serve the perfect first slice of cake!
rate this recipe
Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken
Chaufa: Peruvian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
Greek and Italian-Inspired Stuffed Peppers
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad